miércoles, 21 de abril de 2010

Guatemala trip!!

Eeeee!! I got the best birthday present EVER and I got to go to Guatemala!! It was awesome. My parents rock. I went for about 5 days and had a blast...it was so good to see all my old friends/"family" again.

I left last Thursday, and traveled all alone, which I've never really done before. I've done quite a bit of traveling, but I rarely do it alone...so this was very exciting for me! When I got to the airport, I got through customs just fine and then got a cab to the bus station. The taxi driver was super friendly and complimented my Spanish, which turned out to be a theme throughout the weekend...it was AWESOME. I don't know what was going on, but my Spanish was kicking butt. I get so discouraged a lot of the time here in Costa Rica because I feel like I can't ever express what I want to in the way that I want to and I have trouble understanding at times, so it was fabulous to get complimented so much on my Spanish and actually feel somewhat capable. Haha. After I bought my bus ticket to Xela, I was pretty hungry, so I went in search of food. I stumbled upon a Wendy's and was the typical gringa eating Wendy's in Guatemala. Haha. But it sure was delicious. After lunch, I got on the bus to Xela, which I thought was going to be 5 hours, but as it turns out was only 3.5! That was a very nice surprise. We got to Xela, and I thought it was like a rest stop, and then I asked someone if we were there, and they gave me a weird look and said yes, haha. When I got to the school where I used to study (and where I stayed this weekend), the family was ready for me and had tea made and bread out. They were so sweet! It was pretty late after we ate dinner, so I decided to head to bed then.

Then on Friday, I went to visit my old "family," but only my two "brothers" were there. I chatted for a while with Jose and Freddy and they both told me my Spanish was so much better (yessss!). Then Jose and I went for a walk around the city for a while and I met some of his friends. After lunch at the school, I decided to take a class with my old teacher, Julio...and it was just like old times! Soooo fun. I just had a few grammar points I wanted cleared up, so we talked about those and then chatted a little.....it was very fun. After that, we had the weekly dinner that the school holds for all the students (even though at the time it was only me and a 65 year old Japanese woman, Kioko)...Hugo grilled some delicious meat and we had tortillas and guacamole...so good. Two years ago when I was there, I'm not sure I would have described the food as "so good," but after having spent the last 7 months eating a lot of food that often makes me gag while trying to swallow at work, it was delicious. At the dinner, Julio brought out the guitar and we listened and I sang Wonderwall and Dust in the Wind with him. Haha it was a blast. After dinner, Julio, Kioko and I went out and met another teacher, Nery, to go out. We went dancing and had soooo much fun! My host brother came and met us, too, and it turns out he is a very good dancer. When I was there 2 years ago, we went out dancing once, but I had NO IDEA what I was doing....now that I've taken some classes, I can at least follow someone when they lead well, so that was awesome. He was spinning me all over the dance floor! :)

On Saturday, Julio, Kioko and I went to the natural hot springs that are near by...it was just beeeeautiful. And so relaxing. I want to go back now! I was so cold the whole time I was in Xela, and the hot springs felt amazing. The rest of the weekend was pretty similar, just hanging out with old friends and catching up. On Sunday morning, though, there was a mini earthquake (temblor...I don't know how to say it in English...maybe tremor?)...it was definitely the strongest one I've ever felt. And it lasted for a good 30 seconds I think. It was rather terrifying, but there wasn't any damage or anything like that, thank goodness.

So, that was pretty much my trip to Guate....super fun, lots of friends, a confidence booster for my Spanish. Anyway, the pictures tell the story better, so here they are! :)


Julio, my teacher during our class!
He called me "estudiosa" after he took this picture, haha.

Julio singing something, and one of the kids that I taught 2 years ago, David.
Delicious dinner!
The family that owns the school and that I stayed with this weekend...such a great family.

Julio and I on our way to the hot springs! After a night of dancing, and a morning of not showering, I look really, really cute.

Pretty view.

Kioko, Julio and me on our way to the hot springs...about a 15 minute truck ride up the mountain!

Up at the top of the mountain...

Hot springs!

Kioko and me. At least my hair looks good.

This is where I was sitting and reading when everything started shaking! I noticed the vase moving first.

My host brother (Freddy), my host mom (Walda), and me!

My other host brother, Jose.

Nerrrrry! My other favorite teacher at the school :)

2 comentarios:

  1. You look so happy, even though I know you were freezing! I'm so glad you had a great time.
    Love you!
    Mom

    ResponderEliminar
  2. How fun! I'm glad you had a good time, now you should come visit your other favorite person in Trinidad...I promise it is hot, hot, hot here!

    ResponderEliminar